The Rocky Hill Meeting House is one of the best preserved examples of an original
eighteenth-century meeting house interior. It was built in 1785, replacing a c. 1715
meeting house for the West Parish of Salisbury. The Rocky Hill Meeting House was
strategically placed along the only road that crossed the swift Powow River (via
ferry) and led travelers to the Salisbury Point area, and then onward toward Portsmouth.
In fact, George Washington paused here to greet the townspeople on his northward
journey in 1789.